Celebrating its 62nd anniversary, the Emmy Award-winning Annual L.A. County Holiday Celebration returns with a live in-person performance on live Friday, Dec. 24 from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. (PT) at The Music Center’s Dorothy Chandler Pavilion. Featuring over 20 music ensembles, choirs and dance companies from the many neighborhoods and cultures that make up L.A., PBS SoCal will both broadcast and stream this production live event at 3 p.m. (PT) and encore the program at 10 p.m. (PT). KCET will rebroadcast the program on Christmas Day at 6 p.m. (PT). Admission is free and seating is on a first come first served basis. The host for this years L.A. County Holiday Celebration is Internationally renowned mezzo-soprano Suzanna Guzmán with actor Brian White returning as co-host.
Among those performing are five Los Angeles based dance groups, Dembrebrah West African Drum and Dance, Celtic Irish Dance Academy, Jung Im Lee Korean Dance Academy, Leela Youth Dance Company, and Pacifico Dance Company.
- Dembrebrah West African Drum and Dance will perform “Koredjuga,” a rhythm shared by the Bamana and Malinke ethnic groups on the border of Mali and Guinea, traditionally performed by intermediaries between the people and the traditional chief whose only purpose is to educate others through laughter and irony.
- Celtic Irish Dance Academy, L.A.’s premier Irish dance school under the direction of Riverdance star, Maeve Croke, will perform a traditional Irish dance that showcases fast feet and the ability to tell a story through music and dance.
- Jung Im Lee Korean Dance Academy, the official Korean cultural ambassador to Southern California, returns to Holiday Celebration with Geom-mu, a Korean sword dance traditionally performed at royal and official feasts to celebrate victory over war, hardship or disease.
- Leela Youth Dance Company will perform “Malkauns Tarana,” choreographed by renowned artist Rina Mehta, showcasing the rhythmic footwork, dynamic movements and swift chakkars (pirouettes) characteristic of kathak classical dance of North India.
- Pacifico Dance Company returns to Holiday Celebration with “Fiesta Calentana,” a journey through Mexico’s southwestern, coastal state of Guerrero that explores Peruvian cultural influence in the region through dance, music and holiday traditions.
To see a full list of artists performing on the 62nd Annual L.A. County Holiday Celebration, click HERE.
# # # #
The Emmy Award-winning L.A. County Holiday Celebration joyously returns to The Music Center’s Dorothy Chandler Pavilion to celebrate its 62nd anniversary with a free, live in-person holiday spectacular. The annual event will feature over 20 music ensembles, choirs and dance companies from the many neighborhoods and cultures that make up Los Angeles. Those who can’t make it to The Music Center can watch the broadcast live on PBS SoCal or online at pbssocal.org/holidaycelebration and kcet.org/holidaycelebration.
Friday, Dec. 24 from 3 p.m. – 6 p.m.
- Doors open at 2:30 p.m.
- Patrons may come and go throughout the three-hour performance.
- A live broadcast of the show airs from 3 p.m. – 6 p.m. on PBS SoCal and online at pbssocal.org/holidaycelebration and kcet.org/holidaycelebration, with an encore broadcast on PBS SoCal at 10 p.m.
- Re-broadcast of the show airs on KCET on Saturday, Dec. 25 at 6 p.m.
- Performing artists from across Los Angeles County (scroll down for a complete list)
- Hosted by internationally renowned mezzo-soprano Suzanna Guzmán and actor Brian White (Monogamy, Ambitions, Bronx SIU, Ray Donovan)
- Sponsored by the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors
- A presentation of The Music Center produced in association with CDK Productions
- Live telecast on PBS SoCal
- Live streaming at PBSSoCal.org and KCET.org
- FREE; no reservations or tickets to the show.
- First come, first seated.
- The line usually begins to form around noon.
- Proof of vaccination for Covid-19 or a negative test within 72 hours required; please allow extra time for check-in prior to getting in line.
- Masks required throughout the performance.
WHERE: The Music Center’s Dorothy Chandler Pavilion, 135 N. Grand Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90012
PARKING: FREE in The Music Center parking garage.
INFORMATION HOTLINE: (213) 972-3099 or HolidayCelebration.org
Written and compiled by Jeff Slayton from a press release by Lucy Pollak.
Featured image: Jung Im Lee Korean Dance Academy – Photo by Gennia Cui